Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Yarn Protector Folding Chair Stealing Thieves Rope!


I was having a moment of frustration today.

My mother lives in a nursing home. I go 7 days a week, 6 to 8 hours a day to care for her. One of the most frustrating things that happens there is “THEFT”! It is very difficult to maintain mom’s needs when the items you purchase for her are always being stolen or borrowed!

I will keep this simple instead of going off on a tangent tonight. During the holidays my folding chair my spouser purchased for me was lifted from mom’s closet where it is discreetly hidden by her winter coat and other sweaters. It has her name written all over it. It had to be taken by someone who knew I had it there.
I let it be known to the proper nursing home authorities mom’s chair was taken. My frustration was futile. They generously gave me an old broken folding chair to use. I had it for almost 2 weeks when it disappeared 4 days ago. Today a chair that had been sitting in the hallway for a few weeks was noticed by the administrator and she told the nurse to please find someone to remove it from the hallway. I willingly offered to take the chair and place it in mom’s room!

The chair is old and dirty but comfortable! I took one of mom’s small blankets and covered it! My only problem was how to keep the chair from leaving mom’s room? I spied one of the maintenance assistance’s in the hallway and asked him for a piece of rope or chain. He looked at me funny and came back with this pitiful piece of string!


I thanked him and decided I would do the best that I could with this 4 feet of string!


I crocheted it with yarn then crocheted a longer chain on the end of it.



 I used it to tie to the chair and tie to my floor lamp. I hope I made it thick enough so that it would require sharp scissors to cut the 2 apart from each other!


I pray the chair is still there in the morning! I will be sad if it is gone. Its the simple things I need the most there and the most difficult to attain. Just to be able to sit by my mom’s bed when I am there for 7 hours or longer is easier to handle if I can sit somewhat comfortably. I'm not always sitting except when she gets very sick.


I will bring reinforcements with me in the morning! I have a thick strong cord and I will tie it to the bed and to the lamp and hold it in place with a metal clamp which I will screw in place! Gee, I hope that works! ;^)

I managed to get mom to walk a lot today. Keeping her active all day is so important. She really wanted to stay in bed all day because she wondered the hallways till 2 in the morning. She had  a 30 minute nap late in the afternoon. I just barely got my square of the day completely. I think I may have crocheted about 45 minutes all day!


I found this leftover green variegated I made a hat from! 

2 comments:

  1. This color is pretty, as for the chair, i don't understand with all the help roaming the hall's how someone would not notice someone going into an out of the room, now that would bother me nore than anything,what if they were to hurt your mom. not saying the would, but theft is a big problem at NH's, I know what your talking about. hopefully you got it anchored down and the chair snacher got the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! I have thought of everything you thought of! Nobody pays attention to anything plus some of the cna's stick together and then you can get away with almost anything.

    Every time I am given a chair it is gone when I return in the morning! My folding chair isn't great to sit on for long periods of time! Its got mom's name written all over it. I kept asking everyone to check rooms but they didn't.

    I really wanted to keep this chair so I was desperate! I figured all they could do is fuss at me! So far I have had it about 20 days! (crossing my fingers!)

    ReplyDelete